newsAdvanced Gtk+ Sequencer - News: Development insights of 0.9.0

Latest News
Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer version 6.5.x posted by jkraehemann, Sun 11 Feb 2024 05:06:15 PM UTC
Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer version 6.3.5 posted by jkraehemann, Fri 19 Jan 2024 11:53:24 AM UTC
Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer v6.1.0 released posted by jkraehemann, Thu 28 Sep 2023 04:55:19 AM UTC
Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer v6.0.0 released posted by jkraehemann, Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:48:52 AM UTC
Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer v5.5.0 released posted by jkraehemann, Sat 05 Aug 2023 10:21:52 AM UTC

Development insights of 0.9.0

Item posted by Joël Krähemann <jkraehemann> on Sun 30 Jul 2017 03:21:47 AM UTC.

libags.so.0 has got extended unit-test coverage which is now approximately at 95%. Currently, I do work on unit-tests of libags-audio.so.0. The goal is to achieve same coverage.

This is a lot of work to do. Especially as figuring out some gaps in the API. The API to convert GSequencer's AgsNotation to Standard MIDI Files is tied to the UI. This shall change.

That's why I have introduced new prototypes:

• ags_notation_to_raw_midi()
  • ags_notation_from_raw_midi()
  • ags_note_length_to_smf_delta_time()
  • ags_note_smf_delta_time_to_length()
  • ags_note_to_raw_midi_extended()
  • ags_note_to_seq_event_extended()
  • ags_note_from_raw_midi_extended()
  • ags_note_from_seq_event_extended()

Intending to complete the missing implementations of:

• ags_note_to_seq_event()
  • ags_note_to_seq_event_extended()
  • ags_note_from_raw_midi()
  • ags_note_from_raw_midi_extended()
  • ags_note_from_seq_event()
  • ags_note_from_seq_event_extended()

Thought the following function is implemented but may change its result after refactoring it.

• ags_note_to_raw_midi()

Refactoring GUI related code

For a later goal it seems evident to do a refactoring of the GUI related code. Especially with the dialogs and windows I am not happy. More properties would be neat, too.

The editor is another work needing part of the code base.

As extending unit-tests it is a great occasion to identify missing implementations and to clean things.

It is a fact that there exists only one unit test for the UI. I would say it is related to the development history.

Writing the docs

I have added some documentation in chapter 3 of the developer's book. However the user's book should be updated soon. In order to contain descriptions of the newly added move and crop dialogs. The chapter about the automation editor sucks, also.

Want you to provide feedback

After release 0.9.0 I am going to attract actively man to provide feedback. I am looking for musicians and serious amateurs.

by Joël

Back to the top