newsObjectify - News: Objectify Alpha_30.6 Released

Latest News
Admin Name Change posted by redwards, Sun 08 Jul 2018 12:26:12 AM UTC
Remote Storage posted by jsedwards, Sat 28 Apr 2012 06:09:36 PM UTC
Objectify Alpha_31.2 Released posted by jsedwards, Fri 20 Apr 2012 09:40:13 PM UTC
Public Objects 111111-0030 Released posted by jsedwards, Sat 12 Nov 2011 01:59:12 PM UTC
Objectify Alpha_31.1 Released posted by jsedwards, Sun 06 Nov 2011 03:18:33 AM UTC

Objectify Alpha_30.6 Released

Item posted by J. Scott Edwards <jsedwards> on Mon 01 Feb 2010 12:40:48 PM UTC.

I have uploaded the Objectify Alpha_30.6 release.  This is the first release from Savannah.

I made a major change in this release: I changed the names of almost all of the programs.  I apologize for any confusion this may cause.  I wanted to make the names more consistent and eliminate the underscores (which required using the shift key).  See the RELEASE_NOTES for a complete translation table from the old names to the new names.  I also added a three letter symbolic link for most of the programs, to make it even faster to type if you are familiar with them.

I want to note that previous releases were on SourceForge, under two different projects:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nwos/  (Alpha_01 to Alpha_29.11)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/objectify/ (Alpha_30 to Alpha_30.5)

I am planning on posting all of the previous releases here on Savannah in the next few days for historical (hysterical?) purposes.

I forgot to mention (posted by J. Scott Edwards, Mon 01 Feb 2010 01:10:59 PM UTC)

To build and use Objectify, you need to download both the source code and a "Public Objects" file.

I started creating a .deb file a couple of years ago, but then I realized I needed to create a .deb for Objectify and a .deb for the Public Objects and I haven't had time to figure out how to do that yet.  I also plan to create an rpm file at some point as well.  But for now you will have to build Objectify from the source code.

See the INSTALL file for instructions on building Objectify.  It is slightly more complicated because you have to tell it where to locate the Public Objects.  For the impatient this is the fastest way to do it (assuming a bash shell):

$ gunzip public-100123-0030.gz
  $ export OBJECTIFY_PUBLIC_PATH=$PWD/public-100123-0030
  $ tar -zxvf objectify-alpha_30.6.tgz
  $ cd objectify-alpha_30.6
  $ ./configure
  $ make

I just realized I should change the build around to make it simpler to just play around with.  I will add a bin directory in Alpha_30.7 so you don't have to fool with the paths.

If you want to test it out, you can do the following:

$ export OBJECTIFY_PRIVATE_PATH=/tmp/private.obj
  $ export OBJECTIFY_LOG_FILE_PATH=
  $ export OBJECTIFY_BACKUP_PATH=
  $ src/apps/util/archive-prep
     <affirm conditions and enter a pass phrase>
  $ src/apps/file/file-import test_file
     <enter pass phrase>
  $ src/apps/file/file-verify --remove-min-shred test_file
     <enter pass phrase>
  $ src/apps/file/file-export test_file
     <enter pass phrase>

Note: if you are really using Objectify to store files, I don't recommend removing them until you have made a backup copy of the Objectify archive.  And then use the backup copy to verify and remove them.

Back to the top