newsSGE Game Engine - News: SGE 0.22 Released

Latest News
SGE moved to GitHub, being maintained again; SGE 1.6 released posted by onpon4, Thu 14 May 2020 11:46:31 PM UTC
SGE orphaned posted by onpon4, Sat 03 Aug 2019 09:24:18 PM UTC
SGE 1.5.1 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 19 Jul 2017 08:20:36 PM UTC
SGE 1.5 Released - What A Mess posted by onpon4, Sun 11 Jun 2017 01:43:28 PM UTC
Pygame SGE 1.4.4 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 05 Apr 2017 05:17:49 PM UTC

SGE 0.22 Released

Item posted by Layla Marchant <onpon4> on Fri 18 Dec 2015 10:00:04 PM UTC.

I needed to release a new version of the SGE to fix a particular bug, so here's a new release! Version 0.22 of the SGE is a pretty minor one and its main purpose is to release bugfixes for the Pygame SGE, but it does contain some other changes:

• Fixed the "hello world" tutorial; it was quite outdated and didn't work anymore.

• Added a warning to the documentation mentioning that it is not safe to remove an object from a room while looping through the room's objects list (in these circumstances, you should copy the list and iterate through that instead).

• Clarified that colorkey transparency is based on the top-rightmost pixel of the respective frame, as opposed to the original image. This is important because it means, for example, that you need to be careful with depending on colorkeys when using animation reels (and check every single frame).

And of course, some bugs were fixed in the Pygame SGE, most notably:

• Animations loaded by sge.Sprite.from_tileset were getting ruined when the origin was anything other than (0, 0); it was offsetting the frames inappropriately. This was my primary motivation for this release, because it was having a catastrophic effect on a small game I made for a "secret Santa" thing.

• There was a subtle mistake in sge.Room.start caused errors that could sometimes be catastrophic, though usually not fatal. This was the cause of the occasional "falling through the floor" glitch in ReTux. This one is actually very interesting; see commit cfd9e612d44d5bd9b9144ca7e7d4f804f035477b if you want to read more.

Back to the top