newsSGE Game Engine - News: SGE 1.4.1.1 Released

Latest News
SGE moved to GitHub, being maintained again; SGE 1.6 released posted by onpon4, Thu 14 May 2020 11:46:31 PM UTC
SGE orphaned posted by onpon4, Sat 03 Aug 2019 09:24:18 PM UTC
SGE 1.5.1 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 19 Jul 2017 08:20:36 PM UTC
SGE 1.5 Released - What A Mess posted by onpon4, Sun 11 Jun 2017 01:43:28 PM UTC
Pygame SGE 1.4.4 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 05 Apr 2017 05:17:49 PM UTC

SGE 1.4.1.1 Released

Item posted by Layla Marchant <onpon4> on Sat 05 Nov 2016 08:46:04 PM UTC.

No, that's not a typo. You read that right: I skipped forward from 1.3 to 1.4.1.1. How did that happen?!?! In short, my own carelessness. I made a new release, 1.4, but then found a critical bug. So I fixed it and released version 1.4.1... or so I thought, so I released version 1.4.1.1 to really fix it.

With all that said and done, version 1.4 of the SGE contains the following changes compared to version 1.3:

• Uses of IOError have been replaced with OSError, since I looked at the definition of IOError again and realized that it wasn't the appropriate error to use even in Python 2; in both Python 2 and Python 3, OSError is normally what is raised when a file isn't found. This is technically compatibility breaking, but since using IOError is such a bad design, I decided to make an exception for this case. To maintain compatibility with both SGE 1.0 and SGE 1.4, use "except (IOError, OSError)" where you need to catch one of these errors raised by the SGE.

• "event_joystick" for dsp.Object, dsp.Game, and dsp.Room were not properly listed in the documentation. This has been fixed.

• Added the "swap_color" method to sge.gfx.Sprite, which can be used for palette-swapping.

And this version 1.4.1.1 of the Pygame SGE contains the following changes to version 1.3:

• Removed the default "Paused" image that included the SGE logo in it. It now just uses generated text that says "Paused". After all, the image looked ugly, so any game worth its salt would use a custom image anyway.

• When attempting to play a music file fails, rather than raising pygame.error, the error that would be raised is shown as a warning instead.

• Fixed two gfx.Color objects indicating the same color not being recognized as equal. "sge.gfx.Color('white') == sge.gfx.Color('white')" will now return True as a result.

Back to the top