taskSavannah Administration - Tasks: task #5566, Submission of phpBb Rivals

 
 

task #5566: Submission of phpBb Rivals

Submitted by:  Tyler King <aibot>
Submitted on:  Tue 16 May 2006 09:53:39 PM UTC  
 
Should Start On:  Tue 16 May 2006 12:00:00 AM UTC Should be Finished on:  Fri 26 May 2006 12:00:00 AM UTC
Category:  Project Approval Priority:  5 - Normal
Status:  Cancelled Privacy:  Public
Percent Complete:  0% Assigned to:  Sebastian Wieseler <kickino>
Open/Closed:  Closed Effort:  0.00

Add a New Comment (Rich Markup)
   

You are not logged in

Please log in, so followups can be emailed to you.

 

( Jump to the original submission)

Mon 31 Jul 2006 06:36:10 PM UTC, comment #11:

Sorry, this project submission is allready dead, because you didn't answer to us in time.

Please re-register once more if you want to.
Regards,

Sebastian Wieseler <kickino>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Wed 26 Jul 2006 03:00:28 AM UTC, comment #10:

I have included the ZIP. I have now PNGs and not GIFs. If approved, can you please change the name to phpBB Rivals and not phpBb Rivals (the second b should be captial).

Thanks.

Tyler King <aibot>
Sat 08 Jul 2006 07:59:41 AM UTC, comment #9:

Hi,

We did not get a response from you, so we deleted your project from the pending queue.

If you would still like to have your project hosted at Savannah, please register it again.

The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgment of your earlier registration will direct
you to the proper location where you can re-register your project.

Regards.

Sebastian Wieseler <kickino>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Sat 01 Jul 2006 11:25:34 AM UTC, comment #8:

Hi,

I am waiting for an answer from you.

If within one week I still do not get a reply, I will remove your project.
You will still be able to register it again once you have the time to deal with the registration issues.

Are you still willing to host your project at Savannah?
If not, please tell us - we don't bite, and it will make us gain time.

Regards.

Sebastian Wieseler <kickino>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Tue 13 Jun 2006 12:39:46 AM UTC, comment #7:

Hi,

> Regarding the GIFs, why do you have other projects
> in the site with GIFs ?


> I fail to see how they are allowed to use them and not me.


We can't monitor our 2500+ projects, and sometimes projects switch maintainers that do not read carefully the hosting requirements. In such case, we contact them and ask them to remove the gifs. They're not allowed to upload gifs anymore than you do :)

> "Unisys does not require licensing, or fees to be paid, for non-commercial, non-profit GIF-based applications, including those for use on the on-line services."


> This project is freeware, non-profit and non-commercial. How is it you can say that I need to remove them ?


Free software is for "anyone anywhere". This includes commercial purposes.

If your piece of software can only be used for non-commercial purpose, for a reason or another, then it cannot be considered free.

> It is expired in many contries ... i am NOT using the algoritum in my program therefore it does not apply to me. Second, the patent does not apply to me, it is expired in my country (Canada). So, I am allowed to use GIF images in my free project.


There are two points here.

First, you personaly are allowed to use gifs, but that is not true worldwide (this time we lack the "anywhere" part).

Second, we do not generally check for patents infridgements at Savannah, because this would essentially match all projects, and because we don't have the resources to perform such a hugely time consuming job (it takes days to analyse a single patent).

However, the FSF launched a specific campain against GIFs, due to the use of the LWZ patent as an attack (by opposition to a defense). (Admittedly this campain is reaching its end.) So we don't accept GIFs as part of this campain until it has expired worldwide - but that's not true for all patents infridgements.

I hope this explained better our requirement not to use the GIF format. We hope that, you too, will show your disagreement against the existing software patents system, and use the PNG format instead which is free of such patents.

Sylvain Beucler <Beuc>
Fri 09 Jun 2006 01:43:24 PM UTC, comment #6:

EDIT: On June 20, 2003, the United States patent on the LZW algorithm expired [3], which means that Unisys can no longer collect royalties for use of the GIF format in that country. Those bothered with the patent enforcement dubbed this day GIF Liberation Day. The equivalent patents in Europe and Japan expired on June 18 and June 20, 2004 respectively, with the Canadian patent following on July 7.

IBM has also patented the LZW algorithm, but has never enforced this patent. According to the Free Software Foundation that patent will expire on August 11, 2006 in the United States.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gif

It is expired in many contries ... i am NOT using the algoritum in my program therefore it does not apply to me. Second, the patent does not apply to me, it is expired in my country (Canada). So, I am allowed to use GIF images in my free project.

Tyler King <aibot>
Fri 09 Jun 2006 01:11:56 AM UTC, comment #5:

It is a phpBB MODification ... phpBB software includes the GPL file, therefore I do not need to. My copyright is fine. It's no different then any other phpBB MODs.

Regarding the GIFs, why do you have other projects in the site with GIFs ?

Like: http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/ganesha/ganesha2/intro/images/
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/phpcompta/phpcompta/html/image/

I fail to see how they are allowed to use them and not me.

"Unisys does not require licensing, or fees to be paid, for non-commercial, non-profit GIF-based applications, including those for use on the on-line services."

This project is freeware, non-profit and non-commercial. How is it you can say that I need to remove them ?

Tyler King <aibot>
Wed 07 Jun 2006 07:38:53 PM UTC, comment #4:

Hello.

At first, in order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the GPL,
please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements at the beginning of every file of source code.

In addition, if you haven't already, please include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL,
available from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt, into a file named "COPYING".

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.
To learn why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code, for example,
see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude.

At second, please remove GIF image files from your project and replace them with an other format (such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW compression algorithm which are used when making GIF files,
it's impossible to have free software to generate proper GIFs. These patents also apply to the compress program.

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html.

Please include in the directory of the images a README file and include there copyright+license notices. See also http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

Regards,

Sebastian Wieseler <kickino>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Wed 24 May 2006 06:04:10 PM UTC, comment #3:

Arrg, Some unfortunate events :/ I have ran out of bandwidth on my site from people visiting so just in case you couldent download it, here is a new link:

http://dl1.uploadgalaxy.com/files/aeb144e156ce/rivals_mod.zip

Tyler King <aibot>
Tue 23 May 2006 11:03:51 PM UTC, comment #2:

Sorry about that ... Current working version:

http://gotbase.org/rivals_mod.zip

Thanks.

Tyler King <aibot>
Tue 23 May 2006 09:06:37 PM UTC, comment #1:

Hi,
I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.

Please include a (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to the source code.
The description you gave when registering will not be read by the general public.
If you are still concerned with privacy, however, you can forward the code to me by email.

The first URI of you is 404-compatible, and the second runs in a timeout - how funny....

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must include a copyright notice and
permission-to-copy statements at the beginning of every file of source code. This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html. Our review would help catch potential omissions such as these.

Regards,

Sebastian Wieseler <kickino>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Tue 16 May 2006 09:53:39 PM UTC, original submission:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively logged as site administrators (superuser):

<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8566>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
phpBb Rivals

System Group Name:
-----------------
phpbbrivals

Type:
-----
non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
GNU General Public License V2 or later

Description:
------------
This project is a free alternative to overpriced gaming scripts. It offers a complete ladder, clan and tournament scripts all in one convenient package. It is highly customizable, expandable and configurable with a pleasant GUI, to meet the website's unique needs.

This free PHP software allows users of a phpBB forum to easily create, manage and track their clans in a control panel and via ladders.

Clans may sign-up for bracket-based tournaments and report wins or losses all in a few clicks.

The administrator has a full control panel where he/she can create ladders, platforms, edit clans and manage tournaments.

All free, cheat proof and secure. For full list of features and information, please refer to http://gotbase.org#info

This project is currently available publiclly as BETA (v0.2.0) and includes all the above features.

If you require a look at the source please download it here: http://gotbase.org/rivals_mod.tar (alternate: http://205.251.105.161:8001/rivals_mod.tar)

Thanks.

Other Software Required:
------------------------
PHP
phpBB

Tyler King <aibot>

 

(Note: upload size limit is set to 16384 kB, after insertion of the required escape characters.)

Attach Files:
   
   
Comment:
   

Attached Files
file #10425:  rivals_dev.zip added by aibot (53KiB - application/zip - The ZIP agian (with no gifs))
file #10424:  rivals_dev.zip added by None (54KiB - application/zip - The Zip.)

 

Depends on the following items: None found

Digest:
   task dependencies.

 

CC list is empty

 

Do you think this task is very important?
If so, you can add your encouragement to it.
This task has 0 encouragements so far.

Only logged-in users can vote.

 

 

 

Follow 8 latest changes.

Date Changed by Updated Field Previous Value => Replaced by
2006-07-31 kickino Dependencies- => task #5769 is dependent
2006-07-26 aibot Attached File- => Added rivals_dev.zip, #10425
2006-07-26 None Attached File- => Added rivals_dev.zip, #10424
2006-07-08 kickino StatusPing-ed => Cancelled
    Open/ClosedOpen => Closed
2006-07-01 kickino StatusWait reply => Ping-ed
2006-05-23 kickino StatusNone => Wait reply
    Assigned toNone => kickino

Back to the top


Powered by Savane 3.4