newsSGE Game Engine - News: SGE 0.13 and xSGE 0.3 released + new Games section + Pacewar

Latest News
SGE moved to GitHub, being maintained again; SGE 1.6 released posted by onpon4, Thu 14 May 2020 11:46:31 PM UTC
SGE orphaned posted by onpon4, Sat 03 Aug 2019 09:24:18 PM UTC
SGE 1.5.1 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 19 Jul 2017 08:20:36 PM UTC
SGE 1.5 Released - What A Mess posted by onpon4, Sun 11 Jun 2017 01:43:28 PM UTC
Pygame SGE 1.4.4 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 05 Apr 2017 05:17:49 PM UTC

SGE 0.13 and xSGE 0.3 released + new Games section + Pacewar

Item posted by Layla Marchant <onpon4> on Sun 19 Oct 2014 09:16:55 PM UTC.

Version 0.13 of the SGE and the Pygame SGE has been released. As always, it can be found in the Download page:

http://stellarengine.nongnu.org/download.html

This release is largely a result of debugging as I was developing my entry for Pyweek 19. For the most part, this release just fixes a massive number of bugs in the Pygame SGE. See WHATSNEW.pygame for more information. However, there are a couple of minor changes to the specification as well:

• Objects now have an attribute, "alive", which indicates whether or not they are "alive". Objects are considered to be alive from the time they are added to a room until the time they are destroyed.

• Objects can now be removed from a room without destroying them entirely with the new sge.Room.remove method.

• Creation and destruction events have been clarified to occur right after creation and destruction, respectively. The Pygame SGE was executing the destruction event before destruction, which caused problems for certain uses of the event.

Additionally, the Pygame SGE now uses the Six library to work with both Python 2 and Python 3, eliminating the need for a separate Python 2 version.

Along with this new release of the SGE, a new release of xSGE is also available, with the following changes:

• xsge.gui message boxes can now have their default selected button defined.

• Arguments for xsge.gui message boxes and text entry dialogs have been reordered again. The new ordering is much more consistent.

• Dialog box height can be set to None to size them automatically based on the amount of text in them. This is now the default behavior.

• xSGE is now explicitly compatible with Python 2, and improved via the Six library. (xSGE has always been compatible with both Python 3 and Python 2, but it was implicit before.)

Additionally, the SGE website now has a new "Games" page:

http://stellarengine.nongnu.org/games.html

This page lists libre software games made with the SGE. This page is meant to give a small extra incentive to develop libre software games with the SGE, and to serve as a nice catalog of examples for people wanting to learn about the SGE to look at.

Currently, the only game on the page is Pacewar, the game I developed for Pyweek, which as far as I'm aware is the first serious game made with the SGE.

Back to the top