newsSGE Game Engine - News: SGE 0.24 Released

Latest News
SGE moved to GitHub, being maintained again; SGE 1.6 released posted by onpon4, Thu 14 May 2020 11:46:31 PM UTC
SGE orphaned posted by onpon4, Sat 03 Aug 2019 09:24:18 PM UTC
SGE 1.5.1 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 19 Jul 2017 08:20:36 PM UTC
SGE 1.5 Released - What A Mess posted by onpon4, Sun 11 Jun 2017 01:43:28 PM UTC
Pygame SGE 1.4.4 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 05 Apr 2017 05:17:49 PM UTC

SGE 0.24 Released

Item posted by Layla Marchant <onpon4> on Fri 11 Mar 2016 11:09:14 AM UTC.

This should be the big one. Support for tiles finally exists now, and all the useful features I could think of have been added. This should hopefully be the last beta release. With two finished games and one almost finished game, I'm ready and eager to release version 1.0 of the SGE.

This is a last call for new features before that happens. I want the SGE Game Engine to be the best it can be. So if you are interested in using the SGE, but something is holding you back, or if there's just a feature you think would be particularly useful, please let me know. The easiest way to do so is to submit it as a bug (with the item group specified as "feature request").

The major changes to the SGE between versions 0.23 and 0.24 are:

• Added sge.gfx.TileGrid, which is an alternative to Sprite that can be used in some situations (but not all). Tile grids are composed of several distinct tiles organized in a grid. This is much more efficient both in RAM use and in speed than making a very large sprite, and much faster than having hundreds of distinct objects.

• Added get_pixel and get_pixels methods to sge.gfx.Sprite, which return the colors of individual pixels.

• Added sge.gfx.Sprite.scale. This function is different from changing the width and height attributes because it doesn't actually change the size of the sprite; it only scales the image within the existing bounding box. So for example, scaling an image up will result in the edges being cut off if they were non-transparent, and scaling down will result in transparency being added to pad out the image.

• Added sge.gfx.Sprite.resize_canvas. This is just an easy way to change the size of the sprite without scaling. It's designed to compliment and be used with the new scale method.

• Added sge.gfx.Sprite.from_tween. This creates a "tween" animation, using scaling, rotation, and color blending.

• Added sge.gfx.Sprite.extend, which is a quick and easy way to make a sprite have a certain number of (empty) frames.

• Renamed sge.snd.Sound.stop_all to sge.snd.stop_all.

• In fullscreen mode, sge.game.scale is now used to determine the resolution to use, if specified.

• It is now possible to mirror, flip, and rotate specific frames rather than the entire sprite.

• sge.gfx.Sprite.transparent can now be set to a color, which forces colorkey transparency to be used (with that color being the colorkey).

• Some bugs in the Pygame SGE have been fixed.

Back to the top