newsSGE Game Engine - News: SGE 0.16 Released

Latest News
SGE moved to GitHub, being maintained again; SGE 1.6 released posted by onpon4, Thu 14 May 2020 11:46:31 PM UTC
SGE orphaned posted by onpon4, Sat 03 Aug 2019 09:24:18 PM UTC
SGE 1.5.1 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 19 Jul 2017 08:20:36 PM UTC
SGE 1.5 Released - What A Mess posted by onpon4, Sun 11 Jun 2017 01:43:28 PM UTC
Pygame SGE 1.4.4 Released posted by onpon4, Wed 05 Apr 2017 05:17:49 PM UTC

SGE 0.16 Released

Item posted by Layla Marchant <onpon4> on Tue 03 Feb 2015 02:55:12 PM UTC.

Version 0.16 of the SGE Game Engine is out, and it's got quite a few improvements, and removals. Most of this is a result of my work on the game I'm developing. Changes to this new release of the SGE include the following:

• Added direct support for copying sprites, including a sge.Sprite.copy() method and support for the standard copy module. This was already possible in the past, but cumbersome to write.

• Added support for creating sprites from text. Mainly added for the benefit of the new MenuItem widget added to xsge.gui, but can be useful for other things as well.

• New methods added to sge.Sprite: mirror, flip, and rotate. These methods allow you to transform a sprite directly, rather than depending on the image_xscale, image_yscale, and image_rotation attributes of objects. (Actual scaling was already achievable by changing the size of the sprite.)

• Alignment of text is now specified by the strings "left", "right", "center", "up", "down", and "middle", rather than special constants.

• sge.Game.event_game_start and sge.Game.event_game_end have been removed. Both of these were superfluous, because you can just do what you would have done in them before and after sge.game.start() anyway.

• The xrepeat and yrepeat attributes of sge.BackgroundLayer have been changed to repeat_left, repeat_right, repeat_up, and repeat_down. This is much more flexible. Additionally, the default behavior is now to not repeat a background layer at all, rather than to repeat it in all directions.

• sge.Room.start no longer restarts the room. It now does what sge.Room.resume used to do, and the latter has been removed. I decided to do this because I was facing a bug which was causing some kind of ghost objects to stay behind, and I realized that rather than trying to get room resetting to work properly, I could just get rid of the feature, because the same effect can be achieved easily enough by just creating a new room in the same way. See the updated pong.py for an example of how to do this.

• sge.Game.start no longer has a secondary function of restarting the game. Just start sge.game.start_room; it has the same effect, more or less.

• Several bugs in the Pygame SGE have been fixed.

Coinciding with this new release of the SGE is a new release of xSGE. Read more about it here:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=8201

Back to the top